Friday, June 22, 2012

My story, my testimony Part 1

Chances are, if you're reading this you know me & if you don't know me then God has brought you to this post for a reason, to bring us together. You need to know, I love you & you have touched my life at some point along the way or will:) I created this blog to post homemade recipes but God has really leaned on my heart to post my story or my testimony. He's been telling me to do this for quite some time & now I just can't put it off any longer. I believe God has leaned so heavily on me to do this because if you  haven't heard my testimony, then there's a reason you're reading this now:) Those of you who do know my testimony will probably cry anyway:) (fair warning) Gosh, He works in amazing ways right?!

One year ago yesterday (June 21st), a series of horrific events began in our family. Our daughter, Ava 21 months at the time, had a seizure that lasted every bit of 3 minutes, she didn't have a fever. The doctors ran every test they could think of & decided to admit her into the hospital for overnight observation. They were concerned because of her not having a fever & no family history of seizures, she should never have had one. I held her throughout the night, afraid to take my eyes off of her (even though we were in the hospital I thought if something were to happen surely the power of a mother would be greater than that of a doctor:).  She woke up VERY EARLY in the morning acting like herself. The doctors were still confused but decided to send us home but to watch her closely. Ava was very hyper when we left the hospital & even when we got home so since I left my phone charger accidently at the hospital, I decided to drive back to get it in hopes she would nap on the way since she had hardly slept in the last 24 hours. I left my phone in the car but thought we would only be a few minutes...not knowing my sister was desparately trying to reach me. My dear friend, Kim, works in the coffee area at the hospital so Ava & I were catching her up on what the doctors were saying about Ava so we were in there a few minutes talking. When we reached the car my phone was ringing, it was my sister, Katie. I thought she's probably calling to check on us & see how Ava is doing. But when I answered the phone, she was crying. Through the sobs I could only comprehend the words "Vera was found not breathing" & "She's on her way in the ambulance now, I'm in the ER waiting for it to get here".

I grabbed Ava out of her carseat & took off running through the parking lot. Kim was standing at the coffee area right inside the door, I asked her to keep Ava, told her Vera was found not breathing & was still running, headed to the ER wing. I found Katie sitting on a bench with an aid, crying. Our parents came rushing through the doors....all of us confused about what was happening. Let me explain, Vera Layne is my neice who was 11 days older than Ava. Katie & I were due with them the same day but Vera decided to come early:) Ava & Vera were best friends, they went to the same sitter (along with my nephew Jaxson & my son Graham), they did everything together....much like their mommys but I'll get to that later:) They took us to a room that frankly, scared me, because it meant this wasn't a mistake, something serious was going on. The doctor finally came in, said there was a team of more than 50 people working on Vera & she is very sick. They were going to life-flight her to Children's. He suggested that we say goodbye to her before she got in the helicopter in case she didn't make it. My husband, Jason, got there just in time before she got in the helicopter. Everyone still so confused about how this could have happened. Jason is a paramedic & thankfully we have good friends who are also medics so we sent Ava with one of them to be monitored & another medic friend had heard the run & went straight to the babysitters house to be with Graham. (More later on how much support & love we have from our friends:) Also, the medic that ran on Vera is a dear friend of ours as well so we were surrounded by family caring for the kids.

The doctors at Children's said that Vera's brain had swelled & the outcome was bleak. Devastated, confused, disbelief are just a few of the emotions we all were feeling. It was a long night....the machines were doing everything for her, she was gone. Vera was an organ donor & was able to help 2 kids! That's just the beginning of how Vera blessed people! As a family we ask that you as the reader respect the sensitive details that we cannot discuss. Know that God is in total control & we appreciate every prayer warrior that has been praying for us:).

The reason I gave you the details of this part of my testimony is not for dramatic effect, not to make you feel sorry for our family & definitely not to make you cry:). I pray that this will touch your heart in such a way that Vera's story can touch your life too. Part 2 I will start from the beginning (don't worry, less winded:) & end with where I am currentlly. Again, I love you & am praying for you:)



2 comments:

  1. We love you all. I just know that this will touch somebody's heart...maybe even lead them to Christ. You guys are keeping us going. Thinking of you all during this difficult time. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mom was having reconstructive surgery after breast cancer the same day you were at the hospital, you ran right by me & Grant, at the time I had no clue what you were going through & cried when I found out. Grant was only 8 months old & my heart & prayers go out to anyone whose ever gone through something so devastating with their child or loved one. Hearing the story last year is one reason I have tried to be a stay at home mom to Grant as much I can. Our children are too precious to miss out on & we never know when "God will call them home", as my Papaw would say.

    ReplyDelete