Monday, May 14, 2012

Homemade Brownie Mix

Yes, it exists!:) Brownie mix probably shouldn't be a necessity in a home but it is definitely in our home!! I cut this recipe in half since I was low on ingredients but it ended up working out beautifully because it fit in the biggest bowl I had nicely without making a mess. I got this recipe from www.heart-hands-home.blogspot.com. This gal has a plethora of awesome stuff on her blog so you should check it out!! It says this mix costs less than $.50 per batch so totally worth it! You can keep it on hand for those last minute potlucks, cookouts or late night cravings!:)
Beneath the mix recipe I posted her Texas Sheetcake recipe because it looks to-die-for:)
(I like to make a couple bags to make brownies so I can just grab one & make them up quickly then put the rest in a big bag in case I wanna make Texas Sheet Cake)


Brownie Mix

8 cups of sugar
6 cups of unbleached flour (I used bleached cuz that's all the Dollar Store had:)
2 cups cocoa powder
1 1/2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. salt

Mix together and store in air tight container. **Note: when you go to her website you'll see she keeps her mixes in these very stylish glass jars that are fabulous. I found those big jars at Hobby Lobby for $11.99. They were 50% off last week & I was tempted to get one to store mine in because they do look absolutely fabulous but I have a tiny kitchen & unfortunately no space to store all those big jars. I also read on the comments that the jars can be found at Walmart for about $4! Oh golly! Now I might just have to get some! You could use them for gifts too for that price!

To make:
2 1/4 cup brownie mix
2 eggs, beaten
1/3 cup canola oil (or melted butter or margarine)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped nuts or chocolate chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8 inch square pan. Combine ingredients and mix until smooth. Bake for 30-35 minutes until center is set. Cool, cut, serve.

Texas Sheet Cake

4 cup brownie mix
1/2 cup oil
1 cup water
1/2 cup sour cream
2 eggs, slightly beaten
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. baking soda

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease a 10" x 15" jelly roll or sheet cake pan. Put brownie mix in bowl. In small saucepan bring oil, water, and sour cream to a boil. Add to the brownie mix. Stir in eggs, vanilla, & baking soda. Pour into pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes until toothpick comes out clean. Prepare frosting and frost while cake is still hot.

Sheet Cake Frosting

1/2 cup evaporated milk
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/4 cup cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 comment:

  1. Your so right on the necessity part but come on, we all have those chocolate cravings. This just makes a quicker fix = happy :)

    ReplyDelete