Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Homemade grape jelly

Ok so I tried my first attempt at making jelly tonight. I haven't tasted it yet & as you can see below, they are still setting up so hopefully it turns out!:)


This being my first try, the process goes so quickly & you have to move quickly that I wasn't able to take step-by-step pictures. But, I plan on making strawberry jam next (my absolute fav!) so I'll make sure I take pictures of everything I used. On this go around I used 'Sure Jelly' brand pectin for jams & jellies, Welch's 100% grape juice & good ol' sugar. As my confidence booster & educational tool I used www.heart-hands-home.blogspot.com. This blog is a plethora of information!! This blog explains the basics of canning & how to get started simply. Just make sure you have 2 BIG pots...one for making the jelly & the other for using to boil the jars if you don't have a canner. I personally do not have a canner so I just put a towel in the bottom of a big pot & made sure that there was 1-2 inches of water over the jars when they were ready to be sealed. That's important. Thankfully my wonderful husband is home today & took the kids outside to play while I did this because it requires uninterrupted attention for about an hour & 'uninterrupted' doesn't happen very often around here:) I'm actually super excited about making my own jelly! I think it would be a great idea as a gift to put together a basket of 'homemades': bisquick (pancake mix), brownie mix, jelly, homemade bread (which I'm going to attempt tomorrow maybe)! If you do this please let me know! I'd love to see & hear what you put together:)

1 comment:

  1. Homemade bread is super yummy and once you've made it you will kick yourself for waiting so long to try it out :) By the way it's Lisa Jason's cousin. I'm so excited to see you have a blog! I use homemade laundry detergent, wipes, cleaning products,and dishwasher detergent. It's excited knowing someone else who does too since all my family looks at me like I'm crazy haha gotta luv em.

    Lisasalwayshomemade.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete