Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Speech apraxia, a wordless world. My beautiful boy.

We put on our costumes for trick-or-treat, took pictures, bags in hand, super excited. Ava a Princess, Graham a dragon & Cash a monster. We began our door to door candy begging. Graham was over the moon about the whole experience and in my opinion, the cutest little dragon and just so sweet to watch. Half way down the first street we came up to a house and the one thing I was dreading happened....the person passing out candy said "you have to say trick-or-treat to get a piece of candy". Hurriedly I said "Trick-or-treat!", reluctantly the person put a piece of candy in his bag and we shuffled along to the next house. I quickly studied Graham's face to see if there was a reaction and of course, he was just joyful to be getting candy he didn't seem scathed. Moments like that make me catch my breath and my heart hurts a little. Doesn't phase Graham, hurts momma.

Graham has Developmental Childhood Speech Apraxia. Basically this means that his brain isn't making the connection to his mouth to tell it how to form words. It's definitely correctable with therapy, thank you Lord. The thing with apraxia is that it's a long learning road. He will gain words slllloooowwwllyyy, and after he's gained a word he could lose it for awhile. He's not dumb (actually, he's quite genius). He doesn't have a mental disability. He's not contagious. He's not diseased. He's normal. He's beautiful. He loves trucks, trains, tractors, superheroes....anything boy. He's fearless (which scares me because he will jump off of anything!).

Graham does have a handful of words.....he's says "No!" like a professional:) And a couple months ago he said "mom", lost it for a month or so but has started saying it again! It makes my heart sing😊 And he does make a grunting sound when he has something he wants to "say". God put on my heart to write this blog post to tell ya'll about my precious boy because I've been feeling the weight of others' comments and judgements. He is setting me free of that and maybe our story will help someone or our testimony. It hurts my heart when people stare at him like there's something wrong with him, make judgmental comments, or even comment about our parenting. The good news? God
made Graham. God loves Graham more than we do. It's amazing me how He is putting everything into place so that Graham will get everything he needs to be successful. I Praise Him daily for this! Graham is so intelligent and I can't wait to see what he's going to do for the Kingdom of God!
I am so excited to listen to him....I'll hang on every word:)



Love and blessings to you all!
Abbey

P.S. I'm kinda hoping for a British accent when he does begin speaking. Wouldn't that be awesome?!! :D



No comments:

Post a Comment