Friday, January 31, 2014

Mommy-ing is holy work

Truly, this is a holy work. Raising a family, Mommy-ing. Wiping boogers, cleaning ears, finger painting, correcting speech, encouraging speech, playing cars, playing Barbies, giving baths, watching cartoons, saying I love you. Total work for the Kingdom. Doesn't feel like it some days and those are the hard days. But the good days, the total joyful days, which are most, are what this Mommy-ing business is all about. Our youngest wants me to rock him all the time. I smell the top of his head and think heaven will probably smell like this. The middle one has a woobie that he drags around the house and when he's tired he hands it to me for us to cuddle it together. His head smells like heaven too, like pure comfort. The oldest loves to talk, about everything. She mostly goes on and on about random things but while she's talking I watch her as her eyes light up, they twinkle. She's a hoot. She wants to be just like her mommy she's saying. Today she's a pirate that has pixie dust and flies around the house coaxing her brother to fly with her.
   Every morning I try to do my devotions, I want them to see me craving God's Word. I want them to see that on the hard Mommy-ing days, I still want to have a heart like His. I want them to see that on the grief stricken days, He's the only one sustaining me. I want them to see that I turn to Jesus first with sadness, joy, praise. Some days it's impossible to get my devotions in. I turn on worship music often throughout the day and we dance and raise our hands in the kitchen. When there's time we sing the Armor of God song and go over memory verses. We pray, many times. If none of these things happen, I'm still discipling God's children. I'm still raising lovers of God. Their little sponge brains see the love of Jesus when I deliver a meal to a new mom or pray with a friend. They hear Jesus' love when their Daddy & I talk to each other, how we interact. They see that we look to Him for guidance in every single decision we make from buying a car to what color to paint the kitchen because we want what He wants. We discuss things like what we need to do at the church, the funny thing that one of the kids said to us in the Sunday school class we teach, tithing....church things. My job is the most important job. My job is to teach my kids about Jesus, to disciple them. To show them Jesus with my love, my actions & my words. Yes, Mommy-ing is holy work. God work.


I pray you've had one of the good Mommy-ing days today! :)
Love you all!
Abbey

No comments:

Post a Comment