Sunday, April 22, 2012

Homemade laundry detergent

I'm still trying to figure out this blog thing so bare with me:) I was going to wait to post this tomorrow but I just can't wait to get some exciting things on here so I have just a few minutes before we have to leave. Of course the kids are running rapid in the house & the hubby is playing Call of Duty right now but chaos is commonplace in our house:) I love it!!

This detergent is super easy to make & will cost a FRACTION of what you've been spending on detergent! I'm serious! A fraction!! It hasn't been officially tested for people with sensitive skin but so many people I've talked to said this is the only kind of detergent they can use. Also, it is safe to use with HE machines. The Savvy Savers are the generous women that introduced this recipe to me! You can check them out on Facebook at www.facebook.com/thesavvysavers or www.thesavvysavers.net ! They have all kinds of money savings tips & coupons!

Supplies:
1 box Borax (4lb 12oz)
1 box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (4lb)
1 box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (3lb 7oz)
3 bars Fels-Naptha soap, grated
2 small containers of Oxy Clean or store brand Oxy Clean (3.5lbs total)
5 gallon bucket with lid

Just get a 5 gallon bucket from your local hardware or the local bakery that might have 5 gallon buckets (in this area Donut World might have some), dump everything into the bucket & mix. That's it!! I heard of some women grating the Fels-Naptha bars with the grating attachment on their food processor but I don't have one so I hand grated them & it seriously didn't take that long. I just used a long kitchen spoon to stir it all up since it's all soap so it won't hurt anything just wash it afterward. I couldn't find a 4lb box of baking soda so I bought 2- 2lb boxes instead----I usually buy generic everything but went with name brand for this. I did buy generic Oxy Clean at Kroger & the detergent is working wonderfully! All of the ingredients you can find in the laundry aisle. Please note: the detergent will not suds up like name brand detergent because it doesn't have all the fillers that name brand has in it so don't fret..it's still getting your clothes really clean. Also, save the little scoop that comes in the Oxy Clean container to use as your measuring scoop. You will only use one of these scoops for a LARGE load of laundry.... again, because it doesn't have all those fillers you don't have to use as much. Calls for 1-2 tablespoons per load.

This recipe yields 365 loads of laundry!! That's right people, if you do one load of laundry a day you have enought laundry detergent to last a year!! Total cost: about $17. You can reuse the bucket over & over again too so you won't have the cost of that out!

2 comments:

  1. Abbey I think it is great that you all posting information that can save family's on a budget (or not on a budget) to save tons of money a year. I look forward to seeing more of your money saving tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abbey,

    I am trying this recipe...this week! YOu totally rock. I'm super impressed by you.

    I'm hooked on your blog now. Keep up the good and helpful work, sister :)

    Blessings,
    Katie Harden :)

    ReplyDelete